Open Call for Papers 1-2023
The editorial team of the Journal of Social Science Education kindly invites authors to submit papers. The JSSE is an international peer-reviewed scientific journal for research on teaching and learning in the broad field of social science education. The journal covers a wide range of topics on civic, citizenship, political, economic and social education.
It is characterised by its orientation towards both theory and research, originality and innovativeness, a strong interdisciplinary approach and internationalism with special attention to the European academic discourse and its environment. We kindly ask you to carefully check if your manuscript fits thematically to the profile of the JSSE before submitting it. You can find more information here: concept of the JSSE.
With this Open Call, the JSSE invites contributions on questions, problems and topics related to social science education. In addition to the Open Call, the JSSE publishes thematically defined calls for papers for JSSE thematic issues several times a year. Please browse the journal’s issues to find out more about its profile, subject area and specific topics.
The deadline for submitting contributions to the Open Call 1-2023 is March 31, 2023. The review process for all submitted manuscripts starts in April 2023. The next Open Call 2-2023 will be published on the website in April, the deadline will be June 30, 2023.
Submitted manuscripts first go through a double-blind review process by at least three editors which will begin immediately after the deadline. Submissions that are clearly outside the profile of the Journal of Social Science Education cannot be considered. No more than five of the papers that successfully pass the editorial review will be assigned to at least two external referees for peer review. Based on the results of their review, the editors will make a final decision on the submission.
We kindly ask authors to ensure that their submission fully complies with the requirements of the JSSE Author Guidelines (see here).
We ask for your understanding that submissions that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted for review.
In addition to its focus on peer-reviewed research papers, the journal welcomes other contributions including essays, reports about developments in a country or countries (country reports), collection book reviews, conference reports, case studies, lesson reports or commentaries.
Thematic issues of the JSSE deal with a wide range of significant topics including
- Citizenship and civic education for refugees and migrants
- Global education
- Research and impact in social sciences education
- Comparative research on civic and citizenship education in Europe
- Participation in non-formal education and community education
- European citizenship education
- Socio-political rituals in schools
- Pluralist thinking in economic and socio-economic education
- European identity and citizenship
- Educational media and textbooks in social science education
- School democracy
- Student diversity
- Different cultures in education for democracy and citizenship
- Curricula and legitimate knowledge
- Character education and citizenship education
- Patriotism, nationalism, citizenship
- Critical civic and citizenship education
- Political and economic literacy in the economic crisis
- Heterogeneity and diversity in economic and civic education
- Political, economic and civic literacy, social science literacy
- Teacher education
- Empirical research, qualitative research, comparative research in civic, citizenship and economic education
- Lesson study (“Lehrkunstdidaktik”)
- Standards of education and competencies
- Political legacies and critical education
- Citizenship education in transforming countries
- Media and aesthetics in social science education
- Migration and globalization
- Gender issues
- Sociology in civic education
- Entrepreneurship education
- Human rights education
- Social constructivism
- Disciplinarity and interdisciplinarity
- Civic and economic education in European countries
The Journal of Social Science Education is supported with “Open Journal System” (OJS) – open source software for management and publication of open access journals. The JSSE adopts the COPE Guidelines on publication ethics. All authors are kindly asked to follow the editorial guidelines of JSSE.